Today we’re sharing some of our favorite lentil recipes for weight loss.
What are lentils, you ask?
Lentils are edible legumes. They are most common in Asia, North Africa, and Canada. They have many health and nutritional benefits, and they flow well with many ingredients to form great recipes. If you haven’t tried lentils, you are missing out.
Lentils are a natural food you can count on for weight loss results. Yes, you read that right! If you are a weight loss enthusiast, lentils should be on your dietary list. Legumes generally have high protein, and fibers content and lentil is not an exception: protein and fibers aid metabolism and weight loss. Also, lentils are low in calories, and they offer essential vitamins and minerals.
There are several passive ways to include lentils in your diet. One of the standard and healthiest ways is making lentil soup. It affords you the luxury of adding other natural ingredients and creating multiple recipes. You can enjoy delicious lentil soups without the fear of weight gain and enjoy other health benefits. Some of the ingredients of lentil soup recipes are also great for weight loss.
In this guide, all you need to know about lentils and the useful recipes for weight loss are a few lines away. Keep reading to select the perfect recipe to add to your weight loss meal plan!
Types of Lentils
There are different types of lentils. The basis of this categorization is their colors. Here are the common types of lentils.
- Green Lentils: Green lentils are big and tasty. They are one of the best options for making lentil soups.
- Brown Lentils: It is the most common type. They are great for stews because they hold their shapes well after cooking. They also give nice flavors.
- Red and Yellow Lentils: This type of lentils cooks quickly. They are great for making soups because they split easily. They have nutty and sweet flavors.
- Puy Lentils: Puy lentils got their name from their origin. It originates from Le Puy in France. They are relatively small and have a peppery taste. Puy lentils are only one-third of Green lentils’ size.
- Beluga lentils: Beluga is excellent for its ability to form a superb base for warm salads. It is relatively tiny, almost the same size as puy lentils.
Health Benefits of Lentils
Lentils are like most other legumes, and they have loads of health and nutritional benefits. Lentils have many beneficial vitamins and minerals. So, it is not surprising for lentils to deliver several other benefits besides their weight loss role.
Here are some other notable benefits of lentils aside from weight loss.
- Lentils have protein and fibers that support healthy gut bacteria’s growth and bowel movement.
- Lentils contain various phytochemicals that protect the body against chronic diseases.
- It is an excellent source of iron, magnesium, B-vitamins, potassium, zinc, and other healthy minerals.
- Lentils contain polyphenols, flavanols, and procyanidin. These polyphenols have neuroprotective, anti-oxidants, and anti-inflammatory effects.
- It helps to regulate and improve blood sugar levels.
- Lentils limit your vulnerability to heart-related diseases and improve heart health.
- It is an excellent source of folate that prevents the excessive accumulation of homocysteine in the body.
Now you know the various types of lentils and their immense health benefits. Are you ready to make some lentil soups? Do you want to enjoy delicious meals while losing weight? Here you go!
Here are some of the best lentil recipes for weight loss.
1. Berbere Chicken and Lentils
Time Taken: 40 minutes (including cook time)
- Olive oil
- Skinless and boneless chicken
- Fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- Finely chopped onions
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Carrot (peeled and chopped)
- Berbere spice
- Green beans
- Plum tomatoes
- Low-sodium chicken salt
- RED LENTILS
Berbere Chicken and Lentils is an Ethiopian-inspired recipe. This recipe contains high protein and fibers but low fat, and it does not include any monounsaturated fat content that can trigger weight gain. It offers an excellent taste and forms a great combo with injera (Ethiopian flatbread).
- Heat an appropriate amount of oil in a large skillet.
- Prep each side of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add the spiced chicken to the skillet and let it cook for 4-5 minutes. Turn at intervals, and ensure it is light brown evenly. Set aside the skillet once it is ready.
- Add oil to the skillet and reduce the heat. Add other spices, including onions, carrot, ginger, and garlic. Cook and stir together for 3-4 minutes until it softens.
- Add the Berbere spice and cook for another minute. Don’t forget to keep stirring.
- Now, it is time to boil. Add lentils, tomatoes, broth, and beans. Reintroduce the chicken pieces into the mix and cover. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Let it continue simmering until the chicken cooks thoroughly. The liquid should also be absorbed, and lentils must be tender.
2. Vegan Lentil Soup for Weight Loss
Time Taken: 30 minutes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Dry GREEN LENTILS
- Chopped onions
- Minced garlic
- Ground ginger
- Ground turmeric
- Ground Cumin
- Crushed red pepper
- Fresh spinach
- Green beans
- Cilantro sprigs to garnish
- Lemon juice
- Low sodium vegetable broth
Do you want a vegan option for delicious lentil soups? You have it here. Vegan Lentil Soup for Weight Loss is suitable for vegetarians. Being a vegan option does not compromise its use for weight loss. It does not contain monounsaturated fat that can trigger weight gain. It also includes a moderate level of proteins, dietary fibers, and vitamins.
- Add a suitable amount of oil to a saucepan and heat moderately.
- Add onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir occasionally until wholly softened.
- Introduce the spices by adding turmeric, garlic, ginger, and cumin. Cook for about 1 minute while stirring constantly.
- Add salt, lentils, and green beans before boiling again. The boiling here requires medium heat, and it will only take about 20-30 minutes.
- Maintain the medium heat and occasionally stir until it boils thoroughly.
3. Indian Lentils Burger with Mango Chutney
Time Taken: 30 minutes
- Raw honey
- Apple cider vinegar
- Chopped red onions
- Thawed mango chunks
- Sea salt
- Garam masala
- Unsalted tomatoes paste
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Lentils (any type)
- Whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- Peeled and grated carrots
- Cloves garlic
Indian Lentils Burger with Mango Chutney has a fantastic taste that can make you question your love for burgers. It is not only superb for weight loss. Its ingredients also contribute many nutritional elements. It is relatively easy to make and can form a whole meal. Indian Lentils Burger with Mango Chutney does not contain any monounsaturated fat content. Instead, it has high protein content and moderate fiber content.
- Start by preparing the Chutney; Add oil to a heavy-bottom saucepan.
- Add sauté and onion and let it boil for a minute while stirring occasionally. Introduce the clove garlic and let it cook for another minute.
- Add the mango, honey, vinegar, water, and salt. Stir to a perfect mix, and increase the heat above the medium level and simmer. Mash the mango with suitable material for about 5 minutes.
- The next processing stage requires a food processor. Add the remaining garlic and pulse until minced. Next, add lentils, egg, tomatoes paste, cilantro, garam masala, bread crumbs, and onions. Pulse these ingredients for about 10 seconds or until you have a perfect mix.
- Add oil to a nonstick skillet under moderate heat. Add patties and cook. Flatten occasionally, using a spatula. You can spend up to 3 minutes per side. You can garnish with additional cilantro for a unique taste.
4. Lemon Shallot Rubbed Scallops with Lentils and Currant Compote
Time Taken: 70 minutes
- Sea Scallops (remove the muscles and dry)
- De PUY LENTILS
- Pantry staples
- Dried thyme
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
Lemon Shallot Rubbed Scallops with Lentils and Currant Compote is another healthy and impressive recipe for weight loss. Regardless of its long name, this recipe is easy to make and has excellent taste. Unlike most other recipes, this one helps you to keep down the number of ingredients.
The inclusion of lemon and spicy shallot is vital in this mix. Every other component is equally healthy and contributes to weight loss. It does not contain any monounsaturated fat content and has a high fiber and protein content. The recipe includes a moderate amount of sugar that boosts energy.
- Get your mini food processor ready. Put your shallots, salt, oil, thyme, and zest into the food processor. Pulse the mix until you have a perfect blend.
- Get another medium bowl and put your shallots and scallops mixture. Cover the bowl and keep it in your refrigerator for about an hour.
- Prepare your lentils. Add the prepared lentils, water, quartered shallot, and sliced onion to a medium saucepan. Use low heat for this process and keep it constant. Leave the mix to simmer until you are sure the lentils cook adequately.
- Keep adding boiling water to the lentils as needed for about an hour. Drain the outcome. Add olive oil, zest, lemon juice, thyme, salt, and minced shallots to lentils’ drained result.
- Now, go ahead to prepare the compote. Cover the currants with boiling water in a heat-resistant bowl. Leave it for about 10 minutes. Drain the outcome and add minced shallots to it in heated oil. Cook the mix for about 3-4 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice, thyme, currants, and salt. Cook the mixture for about 5 minutes until it reaches desired thickness. Stop the heat and stir in lemon zest.
- Get another 10-inch sauce to sauté and heat the remaining oil in it under low heat. Find a place to sear the scallops for about 2-3 minutes until it becomes caramelized. Add lemon juice and cook for another minute. You can top the scallop with compote to add uniqueness and improve the taste.
Frequently Asked Questions About Lentils for Weight Loss
The process of creating these healthy recipes is quite impressive. But the concepts around lentils might leave some individuals with specific questions. Below are some of the frequently asked questions about lentils and their use for weight loss.
Is it ok to eat lentils every day?
Regular eating of lentil soups with good recipes reduces the accumulation of bad cholesterol. It also provides other health benefits, but you don’t have to eat it every day. Even the healthiest food needs regulations and rationing.
Can you lose weight while eating lentil soup?
Of course! You can lose significant weight while eating lentil soups. Lentils have dense nutrients and low calories. Hence, they don’t have contents or constituents that can trigger weight gain.
Which type of lentils is the healthiest?
It isn’t easy to assert that one lentil is better than another. All types of lentils are healthy and supply appropriate amounts of nutrients. But the most widely consumed types are Beluga (tiny black lentils) and De Puy. Some researchers argue Beluga lentils to be the healthiest.
A Final Word From Energetic Lifestyle
Everyone wants a moderately weighted and perfectly shaped body. It is even more desirable to find a passive and safe way to achieve it. Lentil recipes offer one of the best natural ways to lose excess body weight. It also supplies the body with other valuable nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
Lentil soups and recipes are not expensive! Feel free to add it to your weight-loss diet plan. Don’t forget to explore and vary your taste and share with others.
What are your favorite lentil recipes for weight loss? Share in the comments!